Sr. Data Scientist (Quant)
FLX AI, Inc., an exciting data science/AI and software startup based in upstate New York, is seeking a senior Quant data scientist to lead an established but expanding team of hedge fund researchers and software developers. You will provide technical leadership and act as the point-person with key stakeholders. You’ll also be charged with developing new investment and risk management ideas and have the freedom and support to deploy them in the market. This role is critical for our diverse team and will also enable you to “get in at the ground floor” and share in the firm’s success in the years to come.
FLX AI was established in early 2021, although the core team has been working together for some 4 years and enjoys a strong customer pipeline of interesting and engaging work. We specialize in data science – AI, ML, DL – and software consulting, helping our customers leverage these state-of-the-art technologies to transform their businesses through data-driven innovation. Key verticals include Finance, Healthcare, Energy and Geospatial.
WORKING AT FLX
Our team has deep industry experience in a variety of contexts, and we’re looking for people who want to work on challenging business problems in an inclusive and fun work environment. We offer the option to work remotely or from our newly constructed loft-style office that was redeveloped from a turn-of-the-century candy factory in Rochester, NY’s Neighborhood of the Arts (NOTA). Compensation packages include competitive salary, stock options, premium health benefits, and a 401(k) plan. In addition to this, FLX strives to cultivate a working environment that fosters creativity, new ideas and an appreciation for thinking outside the box. We eat our own dog food: In addition to creative customer engagements, we encourage our team to think critically about our own business at large and value input from all levels and areas of the company.
- Generate innovative and dynamic investment ideas in a range of financial markets
- Be passionate about understanding the interactions between our investment environment and the larger economy.
- Manage and provide technical leadership to a team of data scientists and software developers.
- Partner with stakeholders to define the scope and plan of research projects in quantitative finance.
- Take part in all stages of the research process, as needed, with personal orientation towards “no task being too big, too small.”
- Be willing and interested in coaching others in topics ranging from quantitative finance to statistics to coding and beyond.
- Recognize the team’s strengths and structure the research agenda accordingly.
- Serve as a liaison and key interface with the business development and software architecture teams, as well as all partner organizations and client(s).
SUPERVISION AND DIRECTION RECEIVED
Direct supervision for this position is provided by FLX CEO.
- Graduate degree in statistics, mathematics, economics, physics, computer science, or other technical discipline.
- Minimum 5 years of experience in assisting model development / supporting model assumptions for use in a financial institution setting.
- Quantitative research experience in financial markets (e.g., equities, forex, commodities) is required, with a preference towards those with a buy-side equity or risk management background.
- Experience with Portfolio Strategy, Portfolio Pricing, Asset Liability Management, Interest Rate Risk, or other functions
- Experience participating in complex end-to-end model development projects (business requirements, data capture, model design, build, validation, implementation, and use.
- Experience supporting a live production or trading environment
- A solid understanding of best practices in software development, testing and release procedures.
- Track record of success in a fast-paced, quantitative environment.
- Knowledge of formal programming languages, including Python, C++, and/or R.
- Strong written and communication skills, with experience working cross-functionally alongside business, tech, and science teams.
- Experienced with advanced modeling in machine learning, factor modeling, econometrics, time series forecasting, and/or signal processing techniques.
- Management experience in a technical environment.
- Must work well in a close-knit, collaborative group.
FLX provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy, age, national origin, physical or mental disability, military or veteran status, genetic information, or any other protected classification. Equal employment opportunity includes, but is not limited to, hiring, training, promotion, demotion, transfer, leaves of absence, and termination. The Company takes allegations of discrimination, harassment, and retaliation seriously, and will promptly investigate when such behavior is reported.